netiquette - 3. Replying to Posts
This chapter covers what to do when replying to posts.
3.1 Make Sure to Reply to the List
Unlike some other mailing lists to which you may be subscribed, the Fink lists are set up such that if you simply reply to a message, you will reply to the person who posted it, but not to the list. Please make sure that you reply to the list:
- You get more people looking at your problem.
- You don't monopolize one person's time. Remember: people who reply on the lists are volunteers.
- Others can benefit, as well. Having the full set of email exchanges in the public view means that they go into the mailing list archives, and may ultimately wind up in the documentation.
Frequently people will use
Reply to All to accomplish this:
- It's typically just as easy as hitting "Reply".
- Even though this sends both to the list and to the author of the prior message, this can be desirable, since sometimes the list mail gets delayed, e.g. for virus filtering during major outbreaks, and the message will get to the prior poster more quickly.
However, if you do this, you may want to trim out any extra recipients (from crossposts, or other people who have replied on this thread).