Bootstrapping Fink under Mac OS X 10.2
Apple introduced major changes in Mac OS X 10.2, and the Fink installation procedure has changed somewhat with the new OS. The instructions in this document are current as of 6 December 2002.
If you are trying to upgrade an existing Fink installation, see the Jaguar upgrade page instead.
Here are the step-by-step instructions to install Fink on Mac OS X 10.2.
- Step 1: Install Mac OS X 10.2 and the OS X 10.2 Developer Tools.
A binary option is not yet available for the 10.2 version of Fink.
- Step 2: Obtain the files for the Fink upgrade.
Download the Fink 0.11.1 archive. Double click on the archive to expand it (Stuffit Expander or OpenUp both work), then open a terminal window and "cd" into the fink-0.11.1 directory. All subsequent commands will assume that you are in the fink-0.11.1 directory.
- Step 3: Install Fink. To do this, run the command
./bootstrap.shfrom within the fink-0.11.1 directory.
- Step 4: Add fink to your paths.
pico ~/.cshrcA text editor will pop up. Enter this line:
source /sw/bin/init.cshTo get out of the editor, press control-O, return, control-X. Close the Terminal.app window and open a new one.
- Step 5: Obtain updated fink packages.
To do this, issue the command
fink selfupdate-cvsYou will need an active internet connection during this step, which will provide you with package descriptions for the 10.2 packages.
- Finally, when all of this has been completed, you may remove the fink-0.11.1 archive, directory, and its contents.
You should now have a fully functioning Fink installation, into which
you can install whichever Fink packages you wish.
If you encounter problems with these instructions please consult the fink Help page which lists sources of finding assistance.